Saturday, September 08, 2007

Concord Grapes

On Tuesday I went to South Bend and picked concord grapes at Bud's house. They were juicy, tasty, and plentiful so I brought a bunch back home. Too many to eat, so I decided to try making grape jam and grape juice.

First you wash the grapes in bunches and then remove them from the stems and wash them again.



Next you put the grapes in a pot and smash them and simmer them for a while.




Next I put the mixture into our food mill, which lets the juice and pulp come out one end the the seeds and skins another.


To make the grape juice, I strained the juice from the pulp. (It is still kind of thick and not too sweet, I suppose I could add some sugar and give it a second straining to make it more like Welche's)


To make the jam, I put the mixture back into the pot and added sugar and pectin. I put the jam into containers and all but one ended up in the freezer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

who's that goofy kid with the grape juice?